The Art and The Blade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Art and The Blade

Dungeons and Dragons 4.0 Campaign Group

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movement and distance

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Skar

Skar

Movement and distance Empty
PostSubject: Movement and distance   Movement and distance EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:35 pm

There seems to be confusion on the boards about movement and distance moved, so I thought I'd summarize for when we encounter such things.
  • Warlock's SHADOW WALK is triggered when someone is 3 squares away from where they started. This means that if they walk 8 squares, but end adjacent to their initial square, they haven't triggered it.

• Teleport moves 1 square, but may travel a greater distance (such as teleport 5). There is one square left (start square) and one square entered (destination), but many squares in between that don't count towards movement (for example when determining stealth penalty due to more than 2 squares of movement)
Back to top Go down
Gardain
Admin
Gardain

PostSubject: Re: Movement and distance   Movement and distance EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 4:20 pm

Skar wrote:
There seems to be confusion on the boards about movement and distance moved, so I thought I'd summarize for when we encounter such things.
  • Warlock's SHADOW WALK is triggered when someone is 3 squares away from where they started. This means that if they walk 8 squares, but end adjacent to their initial square, they haven't triggered it.

• Teleport moves 1 square, but may travel a greater distance (such as teleport 5). There is one square left (start square) and one square entered (destination), but many squares in between that don't count towards movement (for example when determining stealth penalty due to more than 2 squares of movement)

Agreed 100% on the shadow walk.

As for teleport since it is a move action you would be required to make a stealth check. I can also see the point on not considering it as movement above 2 squares to trigger the hasty condition that imposes a penalty but I would also say that you are suddenly in a net new position and would have to meet the Becoming Hidden conditions of having cover or concealment or outside of line of sight as outlined in PHB#2. You can't teleport into the middle of a room in front of me and still be stealthed without something to cover your position on arrival.
Back to top Go down
Skar

Skar

PostSubject: Re: Movement and distance   Movement and distance EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 11:15 pm

Actually, you don't lose your concealment/stealth until AFTER the event that triggers the movement is finished.
For example, there are feats that allow you to charge with a teleport as your movement, so you can do the move(teleport) and standard(basic attack) and still do it with sneak damage.
But your point is valid if you don't have that type of thing going on...
or another example is the rogue's cameleon ability.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movement and distance   Movement and distance Empty

Back to top Go down

Movement and distance
Page 1 of 1