The Art and The Blade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Art and The Blade

Dungeons and Dragons 4.0 Campaign Group

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Identifying a spell (optional rule)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mikebr99

mikebr99

Identifying a spell (optional rule) Empty
PostSubject: Identifying a spell (optional rule)   Identifying a spell (optional rule) EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 am

IDENTIFYING A SPELL (XGtE p.85)
Sometimes a character wants to identify a spell that someone else is casting or that was already cast. To do
so, a character can use their reaction to identify a spell as it’s being cast, or they can use an action on their turn to identify a spell by its effect after it is cast.

If the character perceived the casting, the spell’s effect, or both, the character can make an Intelligence (Arcana) check with the reaction or action. The DC equals 15 + the spell’s level. If the spell is cast as a class spell and the character is a member of that class, the check is made with advantage. For example, if the spellcaster casts a spell as a cleric, another cleric has advantage on the check to identify the spell. Some spells aren't associated with any class when they’re cast, such as when a monster uses its Innate Spellcasting trait.

This Intelligence (Arcana) Check represents the fact that identifying a spell requires a quick mind and familiarity with the theory and practice of casting. This is true even for a character whose spellcasting ability is Wisdom or Charisma. Being able to cast spells doesn’t by itself make you adept at deducing exactly what others are doing when they cast their spells.

Last edited by mikebr99 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikebr99

mikebr99

PostSubject: Re: Identifying a spell (optional rule)   Identifying a spell (optional rule) EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 am

Are we going to use this new rule Don?

Thanks

Mike
Back to top Go down
mikebr99

mikebr99

PostSubject: Re: Identifying a spell (optional rule)   Identifying a spell (optional rule) EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 am

I would ask that identifying a spell as a reaction can be combined with the Counterspell reaction if you have that spell.

This allows you a chance to find out the level of the spell that you want to counter rather than blindly guessing.

Thoughts?

thanks,

Mike
Back to top Go down
Skar

Skar

PostSubject: Re: Identifying a spell (optional rule)   Identifying a spell (optional rule) EmptySat Jun 02, 2018 8:54 am

I am against combining the two reactions into one without adding further penalty to the check. You'd never be able to defeat a high level caster. They'd either have defenses against the spells you cast, or they'd counter the ones that would get through, and this would allow them to know the difference as the spell is being cast. If there were only a couple spells, and a caster started casting ABCD... the other could recognize it and counter with ZYXW... but I think there would be too many variations/options to spot the spell from the first part and to do it so fast that you can also decide & counter it... You'd have to be very familiar with the spell, thus I'd say a -5 penalty to the check would be good.
Back to top Go down
mikebr99

mikebr99

PostSubject: Re: Identifying a spell (optional rule)   Identifying a spell (optional rule) EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 9:56 am

I'd be ok with making it harder to check and counter at the same time...

But I'd also like a bonus to the counter check is you use a higher counter then 3rd, but one that not high enough to automatically counter.. I.E. if I decide to counter with a 5th level counter but the enemy is casting a 9th level spell... I would get +1 for every level above 3rd I choose to counter with... so +2 to the counter check in this example. I think using a more power spell slot (then 3rd) should give you more power to counter the unknown spell being cast.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Identifying a spell (optional rule)   Identifying a spell (optional rule) Empty

Back to top Go down

Identifying a spell (optional rule)
Page 1 of 1